B U C K H E A D
D I R E C T O R Y
HOME
ENTERTAINMENT
SHOPPING
ARTS / CULTURE
HOUSING
REAL ESTATE
SERVICES
TRANSPORTATION
MEDICAL
FITNESS
SPORTS
EDUCATION
WORSHIP
COMMUNITY
MEDIA
PUBLIC INTEREST
DISTRICTS
SEARCH
CONTACT US

Buckhead community
Web site since 1995

Click for Atlanta, Georgia Forecast
Weather
  | Traffic | Smog

 Home | Dining | Bars | Hotels | Housing | Transportation | Shopping

  3101 Andrews Drive
'Swan House,' 3101 Andrews Drive,
is undergoing major restoration

Philip Trammell Shutze

Born in 1890 in Columbus, Georgia, he graduated at the top of his class in public school and won a scholarship to Georgia Tech to study architecture, supporting himself by working for the Atlanta architectural firm of Hentz and Reid, founded by famed classicist Neel Reid and Hal Hentz. After graduating with honors in 1912, Shutze earned a second degree from New York's Columbia University, then returned to Atlanta as an instructor at Georgia Tech and again to work for Hentz and Reid.

In 1915, he won the Rome Prize and the chance to study in Europe, where the continent's great buildings and monuments fired his talent. Five years later, he returned to the United States and worked briefly in New York, but soon returned to Atlanta and to the firm that was now Hentz, Reid and Adler.

3053 Habersham Road
3053 Habersham Road
International School
2890 North Fulton Drive

There he became one of America's finest classical architects and for 40 years designed some of Atlanta's most elegant homes and buildings. It was Shutze, who after Neel Reid's tragic early death in 1926 carried forward Atlanta's golden age of architecture. He died in 1982 at age 92.

Philip Shutze buildings and homes in Buckhead include:

  • 2890 North Fulton Drive, Atlanta International School (formerly North Fulton High School) (1932)
  • 3418 Pinestream Road, Andrew Calhoun House (1923)
  • 3820 Northside Drive, Patterson-Carr House (1939)
  • 541 West Paces Ferry Road, Joseph D. Rhodes House (1926)
  • 320 West Paces Ferry Road, James Goodrum House (now the Southern Center for International Studies) (1929)
  • 426 West Paces Ferry Road, Harry English House (1929)
  • 3351 Woodhaven Road, W.H. Kiser House, "Knollwood" (1929)
Spotswood Hall
Spotswood Hall, built 1913, redesigned by Shutze 1930s
426 West Paces Ferry Road
426 West Paces Ferry Road
320 West Paces Ferry Road
320 West Paces Ferry Road
  • 205 West Paces Ferry Road, Albert Thornton House (1938)
  • 3053 Habersham Road, Floyd McRae House (1929)
  • 3031 Habersham Road, Edward Van Winkle House (1939)
  • 3101 Andrews Drive, Edward Inman House, "Swan House" (now part of the Atlanta History Center) (1926)

To learn more about Philip Shutze and his landmark architecture, click here and visit the Atlanta Urban Design Commission's Web site.

Architectural prints of Shutze's Swan House are available from the Swan Coach House Gift Shop, 3130 Slaton Dr., (404) 261-0224

541 West Paces Ferry Road
541 West Paces Ferry Road

Timeless images
at Swan House

 

 

 

Photos by Scotty Hebner
Fountain Classic urn
Stone balustrade Stone steps Iron fence
[ Architecture ]
 
www.Buckhead, inc. 
Buckhead Web Enterprises Your link to the entertainment and good-living center of Atlanta sm
Copyright 1995-2006 www.Buckhead, inc. All rights reserved.