|The earliest history of
the area is commemorated on a granite
marker at the intersection of Peachtree Road and Palisades Road (just north of
Collier Hills on the opposite side of Peachtree). This monument marks the spot where two
major Creek Indian trails intersected, the Echota Trail and the Peachtree Trail.
Later, the area was the estate of Andrew Jackson Collier, whose name
survives in the names of Collier Road and Anjaco Road (ANdrew JAckson COllier).
The homestead of the Collier family, one of Atlanta's oldest,
once stood near the southwest corner of Peachtree Road and Collier Road. Mr. Collier's
grist mill (Collier's Mill) on
Tanyard Creek, near where the creek runs under Collier Road, was an early landmark and
later the scene of bloody Civil War fighting as Confederate forces desperately attacked
the armies commanded by Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman that were closing in on Atlanta in
July 1864. Bronze markers in Tanyard Creek Park and old mill stones and markers at the
corner of Redland Drive and Collier Road recall this history.
Near Peachtree, along 26th Street, 28th Street and Collier
Road in the Ardmore Park neighborhood,
mellow brick apartment houses and duplexes mix with older home shaded by huge oaks and