Atlanta Memorial Park,
Northside Drive at Woodward Way, 199 acres, includes:
Bitsy Grant Tennis Center, 2125
Northside Drive, (404) 609-7193; 13 clay courts, 10 hard courts; fees $2.25 per hour
(clay), $1.50 per hour (hard); courts available on first-come basis, no reservations;
lessons available for players of all levels.
Bobby Jones Golf Course, 384
Woodward Way, (404) 355-1009; 2 club houses, 18-hole golf course.
Atlanta Memorial Park once saw part of the bloody 1864 Civil War
Battle of Peachtree Creek, as Confederate forces tried to keep the Union noose from
tightening on Atlanta. Historic markers dot the area. Now the sprawling acres along
Peachtree Creek are one of Atlanta's great parks, offering tennis, golf and other
recreation facilities. Its golf and tennis centers are named for two beloved legends in
The park land was a gift to Atlanta in 1929 from former Sen. Hoke Smith, J.W. Bedell
and the Howell family, for whose ancestors Howell Mill Road was named. Actual development
of the park began in 1933 to mark the bicentennial of the founding of the state of Georgia
in 1733. Its original design envisioned it as a memorial forest, and many of the specimen
trees originally planted still shade parts of the landscape.
Bitsy Grant Tennis Center is named for Bryan M. Grant Jr. Nicknamed
Bitsy because of his 5-foot, 4-inch frame, he became one of the world's most illustrious
tennis players, a "giant-killer" on the courts. Grant died in 1986. For many
years, he was a fixture at the center, always ready for a match and a champion of the
center's "everyone can play" credo.
The Bobby Jones Golf Course is named for Robert Tyre Jones, Atlanta's
legendary golfer who in 1930 won golf's "grand slam": the British Amateur, U.S.
Open, British Open and U.S. Amateur. (Jones' former home at 3425 Tuxedo Road in Buckhead's
magnificent Tuxedo Park neighborhood was built in 1929 by renowned architect Philip
Shutze and features a golf green and sand traps echoing the era of its famous former
owner.) The golf course was built in 1931, the clubhouse in 1932.