w w w . B u c k h e a d

Home | Dining | Bars | Hotels | Housing | Transportation | Shopping

Grafton Hall Peachtree Heights East
Familiar to most Atlantans because of its serene urban lake, "the duck pond," Peachtree Heights East lies off Peachtree Road between Lindbergh Drive on the South and East Wesley Road on the north, with Acorn Avenue as its eastern border.

The old mansions that once lined Peachtree Road have given way to condominium clusters and high rises, but away from Peachtree, large homes still line the wooded hills and hollows. Styles range from American foursquares and bungalows along Lakeview Avenue and Peachtree Way to Cape Cods, Tudors and cottages along East Wesley Road and Lindbergh Drive. The area preserves what neighborhood historian Bill Bell calls "the comfortable house era."

Peachtree Heights East was the project of Eretus "Petie" Rivers, a railroad man turned real estate developer for whom E. Rivers School on Peachtree Battle Parkway is named. With Frank C. Owens, president of the Southern Land Co., Rivers bought a tract of "wooded, wild land" from Leontine Chisolm Andrews in 1906. Duck pond
The duck pond, Parkside Drive and Demorest Avenue.
It was bounded on the south by a dirt road that is now Lindbergh Drive. Another dirt road became Brookwood Drive and divided the property into two sections, Peachtree Heights and E. Rivers. Peachtree Heights extended from Peachtree Road to Brookwood Drive and was laid out in 1908. The E. Rivers section was laid out in 1920 between Brookwood on the west and the creek east of Acorn Avenue, according to Bell.
Gray foursquare Corner home
Advertisements for the new subdivision said "the trees are beautiful, the land is rolling and well drained, several flowing springs are found." By 1913, there were 20 homes in the subdivision. Construction was interrupted by World War I, but by 1928, the number of homes had grown to 175. Today there are more than 340 homes in Peachtree Heights East. After Rivers’ death in 1932, his widow declared the duck pond area a park for the residents of Peachtree Heights with the stipulation that it be preserved in perpetuity. The park underwent major restoration in 2001, with new landscaping, stacked rock retaining walls and stone bridges over tributaries.

For more about the man who developed Peachtree Heights East, click to neighborhood historian Bill Bell's "The Railroad Man."

Public schools (see Buckhead Education) include Garden Hills Elementary, Sutton Middle School and North Atlanta High.

Bus service is available along Peachtree Road and rapid rail service is available at the Lindbergh MARTA station at Lindbergh Drive and Piedmont Road.

Pink home
[ Neighborhoods ]
  
    w w w . B u c k h e a d

Home | Dining | Bars | Hotels | Housing | Transportation | Shopping

  
www.Buckhead, inc. 
Buckhead Web Enterprises Your link to the entertainment and good-living center of Atlanta sm
Copyright 1995-2006 www.Buckhead, inc. All rights reserved.