One of Buckhead's coziest cottage neighborhoods, Peachtree Hills lies east of Peachtree Road between Peachtree Creek on the south and Lindbergh Drive on the north.
Development in the area was begun in 1910 on land that then was between the village of Buckhead and the city of Atlanta. Peachtree Hills Place was a project of the American Securities Co. of Georgia.
|An early plat says "Peachtree Hills Place lies high and dry -- a site of most wonderful natural beauty -- 90 feet above the surrounding country; overlooking and fronting the beautiful Peachtree Road . . . just 18 minutes on the Buckhead [trolley] car. Come out in the fresh open air where life is worth living." Original lots cost $500 and up.|
Hills Place was bounded on the north by the estates of J.A. Plaster (Piedmont Road
originally was called Plaster Bridge Road) and J.A. Austin. The J.A. Plaster estate became
the site of the Peachtree Terrace subdivision, located between Terrace
Drive and Branch Avenue. In 1912, the Peachtree Hurst subdivision was
built on the J.A. Austin estate and included a "good two-story residence" that
survives as one of the oldest homes in the area.
Today, Peachtree Hills is still one of those places "where life is worth living." Its eclectic, mostly craftsman homes are a kaleidoscope of color, with intimate gardens and innovative fences and walls. Huge trees soar over the bungalows on the bluffs above Peachtree Creek.
neighborhood is bisected by busy Peachtree Hills Avenue, with antiques shops and restaurants at the intersection with Kings Circle. Peachtree Battle
Shopping Center and other great shopping and restaurants are nearby on Peachtree Road.
There are plenty of apartment choices and the Peachtree Hills gym and tennis courts offer
recreation. The Lindbergh MARTA rail station is within walking distance.
The Peachtree Hills apartment complex at Kings Circle and Peachtree Hills Avenue was an award-winning early example of International Style modernism. The apartments were designed by Stevens & Wilkinson and built in 1938. The same firm also attracted national architectural attention with the design of E. Rivers Elementary School at 8 Peachtree Battle Ave. in 1949.
For more about the history of Peachtree Hills, click to Buckhead neighborhood historian Bill Bell's "Visionaries."
|Public schools (see Buckhead Education) include E. Rivers Elementary, Sutton Middle School and North Atlanta High.Bus service is available along Peachtree Road and rapid rail service is available at the Lindbergh MARTA station at Lindbergh Drive and Piedmont Road.|
|[ Neighborhoods ]|