w w w . B u c k h e a d

Home | Dining | Bars | Hotels | Housing | Transportation | Shopping

Cathedral of Christ the King
Cathedral of Christ the King

Houses of worship - Buckhead - Atlanta, GA.

AND HISTORIC CEMETERIES

"Buckhead's construction boom isn't limited to apartments, condominiums and office buildings. With more and more people moving back into the city, the area's churches are ... adding new sanctuaries, classrooms and children's facilities ... to accommodate the swelling ranks." -- Atlanta Journal-Constitution

African Methodist Episcopal

New Hope AME Church, 3012 Arden Rd., 30305, (404) 261-4393
Records of the property date to 1872, when Buckhead landowner James H. Smith, in his will, deeded three acres to a small group of servants to provide for a church and a school for their children. According to the Atlanta History Center, the "New Hope camp ground" had been in use since 1869, with residents frequently gathering for preaching and dinner on the ground. The first structure on the property, a tabernacle, was followed by a plank and log structure built sometime in the 1890s. This was destroyed by fire in 1927. In 1928, the congregation built the basement of the present sanctuary, topping it with the present sanctuary in 1936.

New Hope Cemetery at 3011 Arden Rd., contains burials beginning in 1889. It was established when Dr. James H. Smith deeded an acre of land in 1872 to his former slaves.

Anglican

Church of the Apostles (Evangelical), 3585 Northside Pkwy. 30327, (404) 842-0200

Baptist

Buckhead Baptist Church, 4100 Roswell Rd. 30342, (404) 255-5112

Harmony Grove Cemetery, 215 W. Paces Ferry Rd., once adjoined the Harmony Grove Baptist Church.

New Hope AME Church
New Hope AME Church

Macedonia Cemetery, 433 Pharr Rd. (now Frankie Allen Park) formerly adjoined Macedonia Baptist Church.

Northside Drive Baptist Church, 3100 Northside Dr. 30305, (404) 237-8621

Northside Drive Baptist Church, 3100 Northside Drive, (404) 237-8621

Northside Park Baptist Church, 1877 Howell Mill Rd., 30318, (404) 355-5330

Old Mt. Zion Cemetery (the adjacent church formerly was Mt. Zion Baptist Church) dates to 1864.

Piney Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 834 Canterbury Rd. 30324, (404) 262-3339

Piney Grove Cemetery is on land purchased by the church in 1826 and contains slave graves. The earliest burial date now identifiable is 1889.

Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church, 2715 Peachtree Rd. 30305, (404) 266-8111

The Corner, alternative contemporary worship at Wieuca Road Baptist Church, 3626 Peachtree Road, 30326, (404) 814-4460   

Wieuca Road Baptist Church, 3626 Peachtree Rd. 30326, (404) 261-4220

Catholic

Cathedral of Christ the King, 2699 Peachtree Rd. 30305, (404) 233-2145

Holy Spirit Catholic Church, 4465 Northside Dr. 30327, (404) 252-4513

Church of Christ, Scientist

Second Church of Christ, Scientist, 3372 Peachtree Rd. 30326, (404) 233-4582

Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church
Second Ponce de Leon
Baptist Church

Church of God

Mt. Paran Church of God, 2055 Mt. Paran Rd. 30327, (404) 261-0720

Episcopal

Cathedral of Saint Philip, 2744 Peachtree Rd. 30305, (404) 365-1000

St. Anne's Episcopal Church, 3098 Northside Parkway 30327, (404) 237-5589

St. Dunstan's Episcopal Church, 4393 Garmon Rd. 30327, (404) 266-1018, (404) 261 - 9447 (FAX)

The Gathering

The Gathering Central, 4679 Canyon Creek Trail, 30342, (404) 252-7098

Jehovah's Witness

Buckhead Congregations, 258 W. Wieuca Rd. 30342, (404) 255-0030

Cathedral of Saint Philip
Cathedral of Saint Philip

Jewish

Ahavath Achim Synagogue (Conservative), 600 Peachtree Battle Ave. 30327, (404) 355-5222

Lutheran

Lutheran Church of the Ascension (LCMS), 4000 Roswell Rd. 30326, (404) 255-0224

Peachtree Road Lutheran Church (ELCA), 3686 Peachtree Rd. 30319, (404) 233-7031

St. Luke Lutheran Church (ELCA), 3264 Northside Pkwy., 30327, (404) 237-4413


Sardis Methodist Church

Confederate soldier's tombstone

The grave of William Plaster, a former Confederate soldier. Piedmont Road originally was known as Plaster Bridge Road.
A legacy of faith

Sardis Methodist Church on Powers Ferry Road, just off Roswell Road, in Buckhead is a living link with the area's history. A historic marker reads:

"Sardis Methodist Church is built on land taken from the Indians by Sy Donaldson and given to the church before this section of the state had been surveyed -- when land was platted by beeswax string and there were no deeds. Believed to date from 1812, this church antedates the three counties (Henry, DeKalb and Fulton) that have contained this tract of land. In early days, Sardis Methodist Church was on a circuit with preaching every two weeks -- on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. ... Marked graves in the cemetery (which originally was called Shady Oaks Cemetery) date from the 1830s.

"Four church buildings have stood on this site: a little log cabin; a two-story wooden structure built by the members and destroyed by a cyclone; a third church building erected with the help of Sardis Lodge No. 107 F&A.M., who used the second floor as a meeting place; and the present edifice, built in the 1920s in the style of 1812."

Among those buried in the Sardis cemetery is Henry Irby, who died in 1879. It was the buck's head hanging outside his tavern, near what is now the intersection of Peachtree and Roswell roads, that gave Buckhead its name.


Methodist

Northside United Methodist Church, 2799 Northside Dr. 30305, (404) 355-6475

Paces Ferry United Methodist Church, 3612 Paces Ferry Rd. 30327
Pleasant Hill Cemetery
(the adjacent church formerly was Pleasant Hill Methodist Church) dates to 1896 and contains many antebellum and some Civil War graves, both northern and southern. The land for the cemetery was donated by planter William Brown in 1877.

Wieuca Road Baptist Church
Wieuca Road Baptist Church

Peachtree Road United Methodist Church, 3180 Peachtree Rd. 30305, (404) 266-2373

St. John United Methodist Church, 550 Mt. Paran Road, (404) 255-1384

St. James United Methodist Church, 4400 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd. 30342, (404) 261-3121

Sardis United Methodist Church, 3725 Powers Ferry Rd. 30326, (404) 237-6060

Presbyterian

Peachtree Presbyterian Church, 3434 Roswell Rd. 30363, (404) 842-5800. The original Peachtree Presbyterian Church was at a gray granite building built in 1926 at the corner of Peachtree Road and Mathieson Drive. The church moved to its present location in 1960.

ChristChurch Presbyterian, 60 and 81 Peachtree Park Dr., 30309, (404) 605-0505

St. John United Methodist Church, 550 Mt. Paran Road, (404) 255-1384

Covenant Presbyterian Church, 2461 Peachtree Rd. 30305, (404) 237-0363

Covenant Presbyterian Church
Covenant Presbyterian Church
Photo courtesy of Buckhead Coalition

Northwest Presbyterian Church, 4300 Northside Dr., 30327, (404) 237-5539

Trinity Presbyterian Church, 3003 Howell Mill Rd. 30327, (404) 237-6491

Religious Science

First Church of Religious Science, 3025 Maple Dr., 30305, (404) 233-2061

United Church of Christ

Center Congregational Church, 1055 Moores Mill Rd., 30327, (404) 351-2747


Interesting facts

Ahavath Achim is the nation's third largest Conservative Jewish congregation.
Christ the King is the Catholic cathedral of the Archdiocese for North Georgia.
Peachtree Presbyterian is the nation's largest Presbyterian congregation.
Saint Philip's, the cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta, is the nation's largest Episcopal congregation.
Sardis United Methodist, established in 1812, is the third oldest house of worship in Georgia.
Second Ponce de Leon and Wieuca Road are two of the nation's largest Southern Baptist congregations.

    w w w . B u c k h e a d

Home | Dining | Bars | Hotels | Housing | Transportation | Shopping

  
www.Buckhead, inc. 
Buckhead Web Enterprises Your link to the entertainment and good-living center of Atlanta sm
Copyright 1995-2006 www.Buckhead, inc. All rights reserved.